Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Attack on the Blogs!

I just read the article "Legal Showdown in Search Fracas." from Wired magazine (here's the link: http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2005/09/68799). First of all, I don't think that this kind of thing should ever happen! If a blog is really supposed to imitate a conversation - just with a lot of people- then how can someone sue someone else over what is said in a conversation- no matter how big it is!!! I mean, does that mean that I could get sued for just making this comment and posting that link on this blog? I also think that should someone be sued, internet providers should not be allowed to release their personal information. That internet provider is simply that-a provider of a service. They are not the internet police or the internet parent and they should not be held repsonsible for what is said on their site nor should they be allowed to release confidential information.
Also, alot of information of blogs are simply opinion...nothing that I read on a blog do I ever consider to be fact. It may be factually based, however, if it was facts, then I dont think it would be called a blog- it would be more like a newsfeed/newsletter etc. Therefore, I don't ever think that blogs should be taken as full on factual. I mean, I could say that I am 6 feet tall and that is a fact!!! However, to those who know me, they would probably just say I was dreaming. Since many blogs are anonymous, they are more like a piece of fiction, a fantasy world. With that being said, there are times when I think that what is said on a blog should be looked into. There are things in this world which are not funny and should not be joked around about. Blogs that have information on how to...say, build a bomb or molest a child should be taken down and that person be investigated. Those are serious issues that should not be taken lightly and if a person is talking about that in a joking way, they are sick individuals to begin with and should get help. Blogs that say how much a company sucks is not putting anyones life in danger. See the difference? I sure hope so! Blogs like that are no different then putting your opinions onto a comment card or a review in a magazine.

No comments: