Monday, May 7, 2007

Viacom against YouTube...

First, I would like to say that this article is just a bit bias seeing as it was written by a Viacom general counselor, the very same Viacom that is sueing YouTube. I am not a general user of Youtube. There has been times that I have gone there and yes, those times have been for copywritten materials. I actually find the YouTube a little bit annoying because of all the other stuff they have on there, all the annoying people who decide to put their annoying videos on there.
As far as I am concerned, copywritten videos should be allowed to be on YouTube. There's no real difference between watching copywritten videos on YouTube and going to a person's house and watching it. I do think that the DMCA is a good thing, however I think that it should protect sites like YouTube. I do commend the advancement in trying to protect the servers that information goes through.
I feel like lawsuits like these are somewhat pointless. After napster got sued, another site just like it popped up. I think sites like these won't ever go away because there will always be another one that is right behind there to take it's place. To sue sites like these are a waste of time and a waste of money and no real lessons ever get learned.

No comments: